Thursday, February 2, 2012

Response to mountain blood


This story is about a guy, Chad, whose girlfriend was attacked and then later died from her injuries. Chad works in the mountains at a camp and was planning on going on an adventurous night with his friend but he lost the ring that belonged to his deceased girlfriend and hat loss made him think about her and we learn that he has been suffering for a while. Chad’s friend ends up staying in and comforting him instead of going out to enjoy the night, the fact his friend stays with him ends up giving him much satisfaction.
                I thought this story did a really good job at evoking the intensity that I believe it was aiming for. The setting could have been described a little more but I really like the choice to have it in the mountains because it goes with the whole mood.
                I think the story should stay in first person, it makes the most sense in this kind of story.
                I would like to see more about the murderer and more of Julia. Chad’s girlfriend is so important to the story so I think we would benefit from learning a little more about her.
                The story is told in part by memories and in part by dialogue. Sometimes the information brought out by the dialogue can seemed forced. I think that the initial story of the girl being attacked and killed would be a better event to follow than her boyfriend thinking about her and losing her ring after the fact.
                The pacing of the story works very well. It starts of intense and balances back and forth for the whole length.
                The setting is in the mountains. I wish the setting would be elaborated on some because it has so much potential to add a lot to the story.
                The opening of the story puts you in the setting and shortly after drawls you in with the intense description of a crime scene.
                There is conflict in this story. The narrator has been trying to get over and move on after his girlfriend was murdered. 

No comments:

Post a Comment