This is a story about a girl who grew up without her father.
Her father is a famous baseball player who chose a career over being a dad to
his daughter. The story starts off with a description of the player, Joel
Jones. Then it shows the daughter watching an old vhc recording of her dad as a
college player back at MSU. The main character gets the idea to go see her
father but because her mother does not want her to the daughter sneaks to a
game. As it turns out the mother knew this was happening and called ahead and
the father never smoke to the daughter. Instead he left a note saying he looked
forward to meeting her and her mother together.
I like
the story’s plot it is intriguing. At first upon reading the title you think it
might be another sappy sports story but because it turns out not to be I really
enjoyed it.
The
point of view is first person which I think is the only way to do this story because
of its personal nature.
The
characters I thought were pretty well thought out. The main character did not
resent her father but just had a strong interest to meet him and I think that
makes her different to how most people would react to not having a father.
The
development of the story is chronological with a semi flash back to a base ball
game, although in reality it’s just the main character watching a video. I
really like the move of having the daughter watching the tape.
The story
is not slow and has a good balance of action and exposition.
The
imagery is great in some scenes, like referring to the baseball as old and
bruised
The structure
was pretty straightforward and chronological.
The
setting was Chicago and it changes from a house to a stadium.
The opening
provides the vital backdrop for understanding to relationship between the daughter
and father and just how important meeting is to her.
The closing
has an implied change derived from the too meeting in the near future.
No comments:
Post a Comment