Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Response to Animals


               This story is about a young man who falls for a girl. The main character is a man who thinks he is dangerous because he robs department stores and the story describes one incident where he steals a jacket from a store in Italy. The girls he falls for is an innocent girl and he is attracted to her purity. He first believes he is attracted the instinctual essence of the girl that he compares to his own bust as the story comes to a close and she becomes “bad” he realizes without her purity he no longer feels the same attraction. The main character turns good” for a while in the story, he stops drinking and smoking. But after some time the main characters sister dies so he falls back into his old habits. The girl then stole a pair of earrings signifying her change into a bad girl.
                I liked the main characters voice. I thought it was really honest and enthusiastic about everything that had been happening. I also enjoyed the language and phrasing.
                The point of view was first person from the main character and it was a very informal relaxed prose voice.
                There were two main characters, the boy and girl. I think the boy gets enough coverage because he is the narrator but not a whole lot is known about the girl. I would like to see some background about Jenny. I would also like to see some more background on the family of the main character.
                The story develops slowly because most of the story is just thought and flashback. I think if there were more of an actual chronological story line added into what already is there it would be more enjoyable to the reader.
                There is some really nice language in this story but as a reader I wish there were more descriptions of place.
                 There was not a lot of dialogue in the story and I think it would be a good Idea to add some.
                The setting bounces around but with a few more sentences devoted to description of  place it could be clarified.
                The opening sets the stage for who the main character is by describing what he does and the closing hints at a change now that the purity in Jenny is gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment